Making a living doing what you love
My passion is enabling people to create really fun, profitable businesses! I’ve written two books to help other solopreneurs get their business from a dream to reality. Building and Running a Successful Research Business: A Guide for the Independent Information Professional is considered the bible of infopreneurship and takes you through every step of planning, designing and building your information business. My most recent book for solopreneurs is The Reluctant Entrepreneur: Making a Living Doing What You Love, which walks you through how to set up a service-based small business. My audience is anyone from coaches to technical writers, consultants, event planners and everyone in between. I blog about solopreneurship at The Reluctant Entrepreneur. And I have created a collection of tools and resources for new and long-time solopreneurs.
I provide strategic coaching services for people who already have a business and want to grow it to a new level, and for those starting a business who want to hit the ground running, based on advice from a highly successful solopreneur.
“After talking with you, I felt energized, motivated, and excited about approaching my business in a new way — something I’ve been trying to figure out for 5 years and you drew out of me in about 5 minutes. And I didn’t even know you were doing it.” –Verna Wilder, Wilder and Associates
I am known for my outcome-oriented, individualized coaching, coupled with a genuine desire to help others succeed in their business. Here’s what some of my clients have to say about my coaching style:
“As a result of Mary Ellen’s coaching, my presentation and speaking business has dramatically increased.” –Marcy Phelps, Phelps Research
“The value I get from Mary Ellen’s insight and consistent push to think of things in a new manner is worth many times the investment cost as I am setting up my new business. I am able to gain clear knowledge and direction on what might have taken a year or two to learn through experience. A huge value!” –Britt Mueller, Infoliquidity
I have also created several online learning programs to help solopreneurs hone their skills and strengthen their business. Find out how to make the most of word-of-mouth marketing, get paid what you’re worth, get your first five clients, or re-think how you price yourself.
Want to know more about my coaching? Check out my article, Ready, Set, Help!: How to Find a Business Coach. Learn more about me in this AIIP Connections profile. And check out my page of tools and resources for solopreneurs.
How does coaching with Mary Ellen work?
I offer two coaching packages as well as pay-by-the-hour coaching.
Solopreneur Starter Package
Jump start your business with the most complete coaching starter package available. Not only do you get two books written by a leader in this field, but you also get two hours of one-on-one coaching with me, focusing on the specific areas most important to you. The Solopreneur Starter Package includes:
- two hours of one-on-one coaching with Mary Ellen ($300 value)
- a copy of Building & Running a Successful Research Business ($34.95 value)
- a copy of The Reluctant Entrepreneur: Making a Living Doing What You Love($16.99 value)
$350 total value of the Solopreneur Starter Package.
Price: $250 — a $100 savings
The Professional Coaching Package
If you are ready to dive in deeper and want more one-on-one coaching time with me, then the Professional Coaching Package is for you. This package works well for people who have a vision of their business and want support in turning that vision into reality. This package includes:
- Four hours of one-on-one strategic business coaching with Mary Ellen ($600 value)
- One year membership to AIIP, the Association of Independent Information Professionals—the premier industry association for businesses providing research and consulting services (new or renewal, a $200 value)
- a copy of The Reluctant Entrepreneur: Making a Living Doing What You Love ($16.99 value)
$800+ total value of the Professional Coaching Package.
Price: $600 — a $200+ savings
Examples of topics covered for new solopreneurs include:
- How to get your first five clients
- How to find out what your clients value the most
- How to develop a service that clients clamor for… and more!
Examples of topics covered for established business owners include:
- How to highlight your capabilities in speeches without being a walking commercial
- How to implement a more effective marketing program
- How to expand your business into a new area
- How to react to dramatic changes in your market… and more!